The legal department will provide Central legal services to all ECD group Companies & business lines. The Legal department is responsible for producing, reviewing and advising on all legal matters of ECD including procurement contracts, sale & purchase agreements, joint venture agreements, construction & development agreements, lease agreements and claims + litigations. The legal department will also be responsible to advise on all regulatory requirements.
The Chief Legal Officer (CLO) of Expo City Dubai is responsible for providing commercial legal advice and support to the organization.The CLO works closely with the CEO, other senior executives and the board of directors to ensure that the organization complies with all applicable laws and regulations. This includes advising on all aspects of the organization’s commercial activities, such as contracts, licensing, intellectual property, and litigation.The CLO also plays a key role in developing and implementing the organization’s commercial risk management and compliance programs.
The Chief Legal Officer will be a part of the Executive committee and will advise the CEO on all legal matters including the Board & Shareholder related.
The main responsibilities for this role include:
Strategic Legal Responsibilities:
- Build and execute the legal strategy for the Authority and its related entities.
- Advise the board of directors, the CEO and senior management on all legal & regulatory matters pertinent to the group to ensure that the its legal interests are always protected.
- Advise on and manage all legal matters relating to other group activities, including entertainment, ticketing and venue hiring. And ensure that standard templates are in place to support the sales and procurement activities in being smooth and efficient.
- Ensure that any litigation matters of/against the group, including claims are handled properly and the organization is protected from legal claims in conjunction with any external counsel as required.
- Support the CFO in fund raising (both debt and equity) by providing advise on legal documentation required to be put in place for the same.
- Support in any Joint Venture, Joint Development Agreement and Merger and Acquisition related negotiations as and when required.
- Advise the organization on Intellectual Property related matters, ensuring that the organization’s brand, trademarks and any other Intellectual Property are properly protected.
- Advise the organization on any other legal related matters including but not limited to employee relations, health and safety, event and attraction management etc.
- Establish a lean Legal department to achieve the above responsibilities and ensure that the department is adequately supported by a panel of external counsel as and where required
For the real estate business, the CLO will be:
- Responsible for ensuring that the organization and its policies and procedures are set-up in line with the real estate laws and regulations which govern the Emirate of Dubai
- Ensuring that any development project follows the regulations of the Dubai Land Department and the Real Estate Regulatory Authority and any other authority as required as per the Decree establishing the Expo City Dubai Authority
- Ensuring that there are standardized and best practice legal templates in place for Office Lease Agreements, Land Sale and Purchase Agreements, Retail and Food and Beverage Lease Agreements, Land Lease agreements and any other required agreements as per the overall business plan of Expo City Dubai.
- Ensuring that there are standardized and best practice real estate construction contracts in place which comply with FIDIC standards in place
- Ensuring that there are standardized and best practice Facility Management and Site Management related Contracts in place.
- Ensure that a Master Community Development framework and necessary agreements are in place which allows Expo City Dubai to position itself as a leading real estate development community and attract investors locally and internationally.
15+ years of relevant experience as well as:
- Served previously as a General Counsel / Chief Legal Officer or his / her deputy for at least 5 years.
- Candidates who are Partners or Senior Partners in the Real Estate practice of leading law firms will also be considered.
- At least 10+ years’ experience working in the Dubai Real Estate Market
- Deep understanding of Dubai Real Estate laws and regulations and also familiarity with international regulations such as FIDIC, RICS etc.
- Previously helped in the establishment of Master Communities in Dubai or has a deep understanding of how this is done.
- Previously helped in raising of funds from both Public and Private markets – debt and equity
- Understanding of company incorporation and best practice regulatory environment
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Strong attention to detail