POSITION: CLINICAL EDUCATOR – OUTPATIENT & INPATIENT
Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates learning and development programs for assigned unit/ Department in collaboration with the area Manager to ensure the competence and ongoing development of staff to support the American Hospital Dubai, mission and goals, and to meet Joint Commission International Accreditation Standards.
Optimise clinical competence of staff utilizing bedside teaching and acts as resource to other units/ Departments as required
- Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates nursing unit orientation, learning and development programs consistent with hospital’s mission and goals.
- Acts as mentor and clinical resource at the unit level.
- Conducts formal and informal teaching sessions at unit level.
- Develops and implements competency based assessment programs.
- Manages and maintains a computerized data base for staff competency development plans and education attendance. Provides regular updates to department Director.
- Provides an educational resource service within assigned area/s and additional units as required.
- Supports hospital policies and serves as a professional role model for staff.
- Works in other areas within the hospital when assigned, within the scope of practice.
- Maintains clinical and professional competency based on the latest research and established standards of practice. Completes all Core Competencies for nursing as well as applicable Unit Specific Competencies within prescribed timelines.
- Demonstrates awareness and knowledge of Infection Control, Pain Management and Wound Care practices and standards. Reports and documents as directed in the relevant policies and procedures.
- Understands the responsibilities of safe handling, and administration of Narcotic / Controlled Drugs and documentation as directed by policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates support of leadership. Encourages team decisions, cooperation within and across departments and assist in resolving differences of opinion.
- Demonstrates ability to impart knowledge in critical thinking to new employees and colleagues.
- Participate in hospital-wide and nursing committees/ Taskforces and projects.
- Demonstrates understanding and familiarity with Facility Management and Safety Plan.
- Demonstrates organizational skills (time management).
- Actively participates in hospital/department quality improvement initiatives.
- Attends the monthly Nurse Management Team meeting and monthly Education meeting.
- Maintains annual education requirements and participates in ongoing education activities.
- Assists with departmental competency planning/review.
- Conduct needs assessments using a variety of strategies
- Involve learners in assessment of needs and identification of outcomes
- Select appropriate teaching strategies to facilitate behavioural change
- Coaches and provides feedback to improve performance
- Provides technical assistance to staff in the use of equipment
- Maintain and promote a care setting that respects age, cultural, economic, ethnic, and lifestyle differences of patients, families, and staff.
- Minimum three year Diploma in Nursing (duration not less than three years)
- Bachelor Degree Nursing preferred
- Post Graduate qualification in relevant specialty area desired
- Current license to practice nursing in country of origin and with the DHA
- Five (5) years current clinical experience in specific area of practice Critical care units and Outpatient Clinics
- Two (2) years clinical teaching experience in clinical environment
- Recent experience in a JCI accredited acute care medical facility desired
- Computer literacy consistent with the role.
- BLS/ACLS Certifications